Select Page

Personal Alcohol Licence APLH  Qualification delivery methods: 

  • Available ELearning (with exam booked with Tutor) £95pp
  • Open course delivered Monthly( lunch included) £125pp
  • 1-1 with Tutor  at your premises or mine £225pp
  • For groups delivered at your premises or part ELearning with exam booked with Tutor at your premises  Please call 01584  875818 for no obligation quotation

Please note all options include a free endorsement of photographs and check of your Personal licence application !

Personal Alcohol Licence Introduction

The law requires alcohol sales on licensed premises to be made or authorised by a personal licence holder. Individuals applying for a personal licence must hold an accredited licensing qualification such as the HABC Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH). The qualification is accredited by both Ofqual and the Home Office, and has been designed to meet the statutory requirements of the Licensing Act 2003.

Furthermore, whilst comprehensively covering the full framework as set down by the Government, the HABC  qualification is extremely straight-forward, user-friendly and free from unnecessary jargon. It also provides excellent value for money without compromising on quality. Delivered by an experienced practicing Environmental Health and Safety Consultant to answer your questions and provide advice if required.

Course Aims:

The aim of the Personal Licence APLH qualification is to provide candidates with essential knowledge of the legal framework surrounding the sale of alcohol in England and Wales. This includes key information on the responsibilities of personal licence holders, duties of the Designated Premises Supervisor, the role of licensing authorities and police powers regarding licensed premises. Achievement of the qualification forms an essential part of the personal licence application and will enable those selling or authorising alcohol sales to operate both legally and responsibly.

Who Should Attend?

This qualification is suitable for learners over the age of 18.

Training Methods:

Options include :

  1. Completing a one day open classroom based course and assessed by a multiple choice exam
  2. eLearning ,completing an online tutorial course with 1 hour  mc examination booked with Tutor at a venue .
  3. 1-1 Tuition completing  pre course work and 4 hours with Tutor with mc examination
  4. Group bookings eLearning or classroom at your premises with mc examination  (quotation on request)

Please note all options include a free endorsement of photographs and check of your Personal licence application !

Additional Information: 

The course package is inclusive of tuition, examination fees, refreshments, lunch and check of your Personal Licence application and endorsement of your passport photo. Free follow up support will also be available.

For further enquiries please contact Gabi Shepherd on 01584 875818 or


Personal Licence Information

A personal licence is required by anyone authorising the sale of alcohol from a licensed premises. All licensed premises must have an allocated personal licence holder, known as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). The DPS must authorise every sale of alcohol. In order to obtain a Personal Licence applicants must be 18 years of age or above, and will need the following:
  • Personal Licence application form – Obtained from local council or licensing authority.
  • Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders qualification certificate (The original) –
  • Disclosure and Barring Service (this replaces the CRB check) – Can be obtained from for £25 (N.B – check valid for 28 days).
  • Two passport-size photos – Signed by a professional (I can do this for you) to prove the identity of the applicant – (I hereby certify this as a true likeness of (applicants name) – Professionals name / Date / Job title).
  • Application fee – £37 (may vary).

All of the above must be submitted to the local council (where the applicant lives) in order to successfully apply for the licence to sell alcohol.

All this information is covered within the 1 day course, however it may take several weeks to process the DBS certificates /applications and may affect your income, as you cannot sell alcohol without a Premises Licence, Designated Supervisor (who must be a PLH) and Personal Licence Holder on site. You can start the process by booking a course. You then need to submit an application to the Disclosure Baring Service (DBS). Please note your DBS certificate needs to be within 1 month of your full application.

To book a Personal Licence course, call 01584 875818 /07985672722 

I am a Practising Environmental Health and Safety Professional. I offer Consultancy (including premises licence applications), Auditing and Training. For further information, visit